A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Monday 4 February 2013

Reflections - Julie

I have to confess that I have stretched my interpretation of 'Reflection' as I needed to make a quilt for another challenge and I wanted this piece to serve both purposes.  I have lots of images on my computer of reflections both in water and in other surfaces like glass and metal and intend to explore ways of interpreting them in fabric.  As the subject of my other challenge is 'My World Is Green' I decided to 'reflect' on an image of an area of the UK that is special to me.

For the last several years my husband and I have spent 2 weeks every year in Cornwall in St Ives. A typical part of Cornish scenery is the fields surrounded by Cornish hedges, which are in fact walls planted up with herbage and flowers so that they appear grassy.


My photograph of the fields near St Ives was manipulated in Photoshop and provided the basis for my quilt.


Above is the finished quilt and below is a detail.





The quilt has been made using curved piecing and uses my own hand dyes and some commercial fabrics. You can read more about my process on my blog  here and here

I enjoyed this challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing the other reveals.


1 comment:

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

Wonderful colours! It reminds me of Ireland (never been in Cornwall, though..)