A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Sunday 29 April 2012

"Time" - Tempus fugit

When I learnt about the challenge theme "time", thoughts about how we all have a certain amount of time in our life, in our days. I found this beautiful fabric with the clocks on it - and I knew I wanted to use it. Next came the idea of certain incidents in our lifes - happy ones, not so happy ones. Big ones, smaller ones - and the clock fabric was cut, another fabric was inserted. Nice! Next thing that came to my mind was - a river. So I added some "river fabric" - Yes, I liked it! but still - it needed a bit more of that "time" - thing. How about an hourglass? - yes. But I wanted to give the impression of looking through glass ? - so let's use a very thin sheer fabric! for the sand, I used beads. Some of them are sewn onto the piece, but most of them are just "filled in", so they can move around. The edges were treated with my favourite method - zigzag with decorative yarns.

A detail shot - shows off the stamped letters "TEMPUS FUGIT"
Working on this challenge piece was exactly what I had hoped for ;-)) I had a lot of fun, I got a lot to think about, and I like the result. Besides that, I'm not absolutely happy with it. Maybe that's the reason why I already ordered another piece of the fabric with the clocks on it? I have a bigger version of it in mind ... And I can hardly wait to start with it! Now I'm off to look at the other challenge pieces ;-))

4 comments:

Julie said...

Frauke I am so pleased you are in this group :-) I love the phrase Tempus Fugit, I grew up with it on a 'grandmother' clock in our house and it's meaning certainly gets more real the older I get. I like your concept and I love the hourglass with the falling beads. Inspired! I shall look forward to seeing how you develop this idea.

Annabel said...

Hello you lovely people! Lovely to follow what you're doing and the pieces that you're making for your latest challenge. I tried to leave a message on your FB page, but it wouldn't let me; I wanted to ask if the person doing the admin could take a moment and delete my name from the comment/email notification in the settings please. I seem to be still getting notifications. Still following what you're doing though!!

Claire said...

Hi Frauke,
Think we were thinking on the same lines with our challenge pieces. It's amazing how similar our 2 backgrounds turned out to be, even though they're made in complete different ways. Great minds think alike and all that!! :)

Kathryn said...

Lovely piece Frauke! I love the free flowing beads, and the sense of experimentation and exploration as you made your quilt.
I have been talking to some authors recently about their creative processes and have realised that some authors plan everything in detail before they begin writing and therefore know exactly how the story will turn out. Other authors allow the story to reveal itself as they write and seem as surprised and delighted as their readers. I think quilters might also fall into two groups in the same way - what do others think?