I seem to have been focussing a lot on bricks and stones and general architectural marks in my printing over the last few years so I decided to make a piece using some of the various fabrics. My plan at first was to do a sort of free-form log cabin but since I didn't bother to consult my C&G sample this went a bit awry rather quickly!
As one of my reasons for participating in this challenge is to try out new techniques, I decided to use freeform rotary cutting and also a self-facing rather than traditional binding (using Kathy Loomis' excellent tutorial.)
The fabrics are a mixture of cotton, silk dupion and another sort of silk which was a right pain. They had been printed at various times with a selection of fabric paints, thickened procion dyes, thickened natural dye extracts, and rust; mostly with thermofax screens and/or found objects.
One curious thing I have noticed about my design process over the last few months is that I seem to end up rotating most of my finished work 90 degrees before I'm happy with it, and this was no exception. I must have some sort of curious lopsided mind!! That's probably why most of my work ends up a strange shape as well!