A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Friday 23 September 2011

Challenge no. 1: Light and Shadow

My inspiration for this piece came from a photograph I took while on holiday in Fuengirola, Spain about 5 years ago. One of the footpaths in the town had a whole row of painted concrete balls going all the way down the street which caught my eye.
I'd always intended to make something textile-related based on the photograph, so this was the perfect challenge to carry that out. Didn't think that it would take me 5 years to get around to it though!

I had intended to do a lot more free-motion quilting on this piece but that didnt happen due to my sewing machine going hay-wire back in August. I put my machine in for repairs thinking I'd get in back in a week or two, but have now been waiting over 6 weeks for it! And my other machine doesn't really like free-motion work so had to quilt this piece using straight-line quilting. Luckily, straight-line quilting looks like rays of light...

This is the original photograph that I used for my inspiration:

I really enjoyed this first challenge, so roll on Challenge no. 2

4 comments:

Sue Krekorian said...

What a very effective translation of your intriguing photograph. Shadows are never as black and white as they seem, are they?

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is an intruiging photo, but I love your interpretation better. I think the shadows under the balls are magic!

Esther Aliu said...

Wow what an interesting photo. Your piece has much more light and shading though. That's always nice - to actually improve a picture.

I worked from a photo too, I do like your stitching, looks great.

carol parker said...

love the way you're all working together and some wonderful results!