A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Friday, 25 November 2011

Through The Window

As happened last time I am not going to be near a computer for the reveal so I am scheduling this for publication and hope it works.  I am really sorry not to be here for today but I am hoping to get hold of a computer over the next day or so to see what everyone has done.

As I said in my earlier post I was becoming fascinated with the quality of light that comes through a stained glass window and I particularly became fascinated with the cut through process that I had been playing with.  After I had made a pice 10" square for my Journal Quilt I have gone on to make an A3 sized piece for this challenge.  It is not the only piece I have made, more of that in a minute.





As you can see I didn't actually take this particular technique any further, mostly because I didn't have the time but I may well play with it some more when time allows.

I said in my previous post that I wanted to experiment with sheers and I have had a great time doing just that.  I took a selection of neutral organzas, silks and nylon sheers and used fabric paints tostamp and make monoprints on their surfaces.  I kept the monoprints neutral in tones of grey and was a bit worried at first that they might be too light to show up.  Sadly I was so busy working I didn't take any photos of the process.

The next step was to use silk paints to add colour to the pieces of fabric.  I decided on silk paint as I didn't have a lot of time, again.  Once the fabrics were all prepared I started to cut and piece them using a pojagi style of seam.  This is the result:



The photograph above was taken indoors with the piece laying on the top of my sewing table.  It is very slightly smaller than A3 size.  I then took further photographs outside.



After photographing the piece hanging from our driftwood I couldn't resist hanging the 'window' in the lilac tree where the sun was shining through this morning.






I have made a lot of mistakes with the stitching in this technique and a certain amount of drifting has occurred but I am so delighted with the way this has turned out.  The surface marks are really exciting me and I am really happy with my interpretation of 'Through The Window'.  I am quite tempted though to leave it out in the garden to let the sun shine through and see how it ages.  You may also have noticed that this isn't really a quilt as it is only one layer.  Tant pis! (As the French would say).  Actually a couple of the pieces do consist of two layers as I felt the sheer was too fine.

I shall look forward to seeing everyone else's interpretations and to the next challenge!





4 comments:

Claire said...

Love your piece Julie - the colours are gorgeous,

sandra wyman said...

Two gorgeous pieces here Julie - the light through the pojagi piece is mouthwatering. Do I detect developments following Jo Budd workshop here?

If you ever get tired of it I can find it a good home!

magsramsay said...

Haven't you been productive!!2 glowing pieces - I love how the shadows interact with your Pojagi piece- makes me want to return to that technique

Julie said...

Thank you ladies :-) I think Jo's workshop has had a subconscious influence Sandra and probably a conscious one too. Sadly I am not looking for a new home for it but I may get round to making another. Watch this space!

I hadn't paid much attention to Pojagi until I went to Ally Pally this year and saw the stand there, Mags. I was intrigued by the way the pieces floated layer on layer and it intrigued me enough to play.

Thank you for your compliment on the colours Claire, I did get a bit excited about the way they turned out, it was very hard to cut into them!